Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Felt Color Mittens

Even though the teacher in me could totally come up with daily lesson plans for Olivia... I do not.  I try to let her be the little toddler she is.  I focus on having her "learn" while playing, which is pretty easy to do.  I also try to reinforce the things she shows interest in.  (Yes, Kathi.  How very Montessori of me, huh?! :)

While she still loves animals, her interests lately have switched to colors, shapes, numbers and letters.  I realize that sounds like a list from a preschool lesson plan, but I assure you that they really are her interests.

So, a few weeks ago I made her a felt mitten matching game.  I use the word "game" loosely, because I didn't figure she'd understand the concept of matching.  I did know that she would enjoy the activity, and she did.

I showed her how to match a few.  Really, my focus was just on talking about the color names.

At the time, she only knew 2 or 3 colors and they weren't 100%.

She knew black and pink.  She called blue, "boppa" and orange, "orange juice".

This is her telling me that pink is my favorite. :)

We are still working on colors.
She is pretty solid on red, orange, pink, black and white.
She gets green and purple right sporadically.
She knows the word blue, but she tends to call in boppa more often than not.
Yellow was one of the first color words she used.  She use to call everything yellow.  Now, she rarely says yellow, so we are working on that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment