Saturday, November 10, 2012

Thanksgiving Travels

We are leaving for Indiana in less than a week.  I cannot believe it's already time!  It literally just hit me on Thursday.  We've been talking about it and planning the trip for months now and it always felt so far off in the distance.  It's not anymore, and I will need to spend this week preparing and packing!  It's really hard to get into the mindset of boots, coats, gloves, hats and sweaters when it is 80 degrees outside.  I don't even know that I have a coat that fits me.  Seriously!  I will have to go to the garage and start digging!  All my coats are pre-pregnancy, and I'm pretty sure I couldn't zip them last year! :(  I did get Olivia a coat and finally came across the hat and gloves at Old Navy that I was looking to buy.  Crazy!

Our plan is similar to last year in most ways.  We will be leaving on Friday after Michael gets home from work.  I think last year we tried to get on the road by 5.  This year it will be a little later.  He doesn't get home until 6, and will need to eat a quick dinner.  We will drive through the night.  Google says it should take us 17 hours.  Of course, we will have to stop a few times, and that adds time to it.  So we will get in mid-day Saturday.  We will be staying until Thanksgiving evening.  After all the festivities die down, we'll be hitting the road for Columbus.  We will be in Columbus Friday through Sunday evening.

I know people think we are crazy to drive that far, but it's just cheaper and so much easier!  We have SO much to bring along!  I know that if we were flying we could adapt, but it's just easier to have everything with us instead of trying to buy it once we get there.  One of the things that has been on my mind for months now is packing!  I'm all about lists, organization, and being prepared.  The task actually sounds fun to me. :)

The one thing I am worried about is Olivia's sleep.  She is an AMAZING sleeper.... if she's in her own bed!  Last year she was going on 5 months old, so she still was sleeping through a lot.  She slept her normal 12 hours in the car at night with no problem.  This year makes me nervous.  She has never been one to just fall asleep anywhere.  You know how you see all those pictures of kids who have fallen asleep in their high chair or jumperoo, or in weird positions while playing?!?  That has never happened to us. (Maybe because she naps like she should?!)  She also doesn't sleep in the car anymore.  She stopped that at around 10 months.  She slept terrible on our whole trip last year, and in turn was a grouch for most of it.  This year we will be bringing the mattress that I purchased for naps at Little Man's house, along with the pack and play.  We'll also have to bring the white noise machine and her little ocean music box.  I'm crossing my fingers that this works.  Otherwise, it's going to be a looooong 10 days!

Packing for 3 people plus stuff for a Thirty-One party is going to be an adventure.  Michael does not like to have the back window view blocked, so we are going to have to get creative!  On top of all the things that just go along with traveling with a kid, I feel like I have to be somewhat prepared in the food department.  We can't just go through the drive thru and get her a milk to go with her breakfast.  We also aren't keen on feeding her crap fast food.  I've started stocking up on a few items and will need to purchase a few more this week.  Luckily for us, almond milk can come in the juice box form and not need to be refrigerated.

I am looking forward to seeing family and just having a week to relax and have Michael around full time.  People are saying to me all the time "she's such a little person".  I am looking forward to seeing her interact with all of my cousin's children.  It is going to be a fun time!

No comments:

Post a Comment