Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Migraines and daddy lunches

"I don't know what a migraine feels like, but if this is how they feel...then I have one." 
-LB, Walther 2nd South RA 1999

I went to a friends house on Saturday morning to have a Mary Kay make over.  She's starting her business, and as a fellow new business starter, I wanted to help her out.  Unfortunately, I came home with a migraine.  I think it was triggered by the peach smelling hand cream.  Anyway, I am not one prone to migraines, but over the last few years I have had a few that I would call "mild migraines".  I know some people get them much, much worse.

Anyway, by the time I got home all I could do was take some medication and plop on the couch.

Time rolled around for Olivia to have lunch.  I mentioned this to Michael and he got right on it.  We keep most of her food in the same place in the fridge and cabinets, so I figured he could round something up.

I got up to go to the bathroom (thought I might have to puke, but didn't!) and saw he was making her some leftover oatmeal.  Being someone who is a fan of breakfast for dinner, I was perfectly fine with his choice of cuisine.  I plopped back down on the couch and prayed the aching would go away.

A few minutes later Michael says, "what's this yellowish stuff in this dish?".  Having just made some food for Olivia the day before, I replied, "probably peaches".  To which he responded, "it doesn't smell like peaches".  Knowing that there was no other "yellowish" food that I made for her, I had to pull my throbbing head off the pillow to look.  He was feeding her hummus.  Straight up hummus off the spoon.  I don't know about you, but this made me laugh.  A) he didn 't even know what he was feeding her.  He was just scooping spoonfuls of food into her mouth hoping for the best. B) who eats spoonfuls of hummus? and C) he had just fed her oatmeal--raw, uber healthy oatmeal that he did not mix any fruit in, and then he gave her hummus.  Mmmm... oatmeal and hummus.  Exactly what I want to eat for lunch. :)  The whole thing just made me laugh.  That's such a "dad" lunch if I ever saw one.

On a side note, I was talking to my friend about my migraine and she told me she knew exactly what it was.  She said she had some similar a few years ago and thought she was losing her vision, so she went to the doctor.  Turns out it is called an optical migraine.  Basically it felt like someone had taken a bunch of pictures of me right in a row with a really bright flash.  I could still see, but there were all these spots and circles and I couldn't get them to go away.  That coupled with the headache and I was down and out until about 1:30.  Thankfully the medication kicked in and I was at least able to manage the rest of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment