Thursday, November 17, 2011

Bountiful Brunch Pizza

When I was meal planning for Amanda and Hieu's visit, I asked Amanda what kind of things they liked and didn't like.  She kept telling me they'd eat anything.  I wanted to make sure they would eat and like what I made, so I kept pestering her. :)  Finally I got a small list of dislikes and an even smaller list of likes.  On the list of likes was eggs.  She said Hieu loved eggs.  What can you do with eggs?  I'm not a huge egg maker.  If I do make them it's either scrambled or an omelet.  Neither of which are too exciting in my book.

I remembered a recipe my mom use to make when we had company.  It was a Pampered Chef recipe and I happened to have the cookbook containing said recipe.  I figured I'd give it a go.  It had eggs!

What you'll need

Crust:
1 package (24 oz) frozen shredded hash brown patties, thawed and broken apart
1 egg, beaten
salt and pepper to taste

Egg topping:
7 eggs
1/2 cup milk
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup chopped ham
1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
1/4 cup green onion slices (I used regular onions)
1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 1/2 cu (6 oz) shredded cheddar cheese

What to do:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Cover a baking stone with parchment paper.  I didn't have parchment paper, so I used wax paper.  I thought they were interchangeable.  They are not!

 In a bowl, combine potatoes, egg, salt and pepper.  Mix well.
Spread potato mix into a 14 inch circle on prepared stone.  
Pat down with back of spoon
Since I knew that Amanda, Hieu and Michael would like it to have salt and pepper.  I added what I thought was a fair amount.  I also sprinkled some garlic powder on the top.  Because who doesn't love garlic.  I'm not sure I did enough though.  I don't think you could taste it.

Bake 20 minutes. 

While the crust was cooking, I cut up the veggies.  
I sort of measured, but since it was just a pizza topping I was a little generous.
I also used 2 cups of cheese verses 1 1/2 called for and a little more ham.

Remove crust from the oven.
(This is when I found out that parchment paper and wax paper are not interchangeable.  Needless to say, my smoke detectors went off.)

To make the egg topping, whisk eggs and milk in a bowl.  Season with salt and pepper. 
Again, I felt I added a fair amount.

I know this is going to sound weird, but it's the directions...
Microwave on HIGH for 3 minutes; stir
Microwave an additional 3 minutes; stir.

Spread cooked egg mixture evenly over potato crust.

Top with ham, mushroom, onions and peppers

Sprinkle with cheese
Return to the oven and bake for 10 minutes


 Cut into wedges and serve.

It was a hit!

No comments:

Post a Comment