Friday, November 18, 2011

Are we crazy?

Maybe just a little!  We are actually going to drive to Indiana for Thanksgiving....with a five month old BABY!  Yep.  It's happening.  Today, in fact.  Google says it will take 17 hours. That is not factoring in any food stops, gas stops, bathroom/diaper change stops, bottle feeding stops, or baby-is-having-a-meltdown stops.  I'm scared and excited all in one! :)

It's super important to me, so that is why we are doing it.  Thanksgiving isn't just about a meal to me.  It's not even about the day.  It's about so much more.  First, it's about tradition.  I have been traveling to my aunt and uncles house for Thanksgiving since I was around 10 years old.  I have gone every year since then.  When Michael and I got together I told him I wasn't interested in this year we go here for this holiday and this year we go here for that holiday business.  All I cared about was that Thanksgiving was still at my aunt and uncles house.

The day of Thanksgiving is in and of itself worth the trip.  A lot of my extended family gathers--aunts, uncles, my mom, my grandma, some of my siblings, in laws and nieces and nephews, my cousins (who are like my siblings) and their kids.  We usually have around 30 people.  Some years it has been more.  A few years it's probably been a little less.  Either way, it's big and loud and fun.  We eat our Thanksgiving meal at lunch.  Then we sit around and play games, talk, watch football, and do a craft.  People don't just leave after a little while.  We stay until it's time to break out the leftovers for dinner.  Last year I was at my aunt and uncles house playing games with my cousins until about ten o'clock when we lost electricity.

The fun doesn't stop there.  My usual trips were the Wednesday before Thanksgiving to the Sunday after.  Those days are filled with lunch dates with my cousins, hanging out at my grandma's house with any and all random relatives that stop by, shopping, playing more games, and much more.

When I was younger and we actually spent the night at my aunt and uncles, the tradition included: a blueberry pancake breakfast the Friday after, watching home videos, homemade pizza the Friday night after, playing hide and seek with the cousins, and lots and lots of card playing.

I am just meant to be in Indiana for Thanksgiving.  This year I am super excited to introduce Olivia to lots of her family.  She'll get to meet some of her own aunts, uncles and cousins, as well as my aunts, uncles and cousins.  My grandma is super excited to meet her, and of course my mom can't wait to see her again.

I'm not ignorant enough to think that it's going to be a piece of cake trip.  Traveling any length of time with a 5 month old can be tricky.  That is why we are driving through the night.  Olivia sleeps about 12 hours a night (with one wake up around 5 AM to eat, but she goes right  back to sleep).  If we can have her sleeping 12 of the 17+ hours that it is going to take, then I am game.  We also have a portable DVD player just in case.  Don't judge.  I'm no fool! :)

We've stocked up on "on the go" cans of formula for the car ride, diapers, snacks for mommy and daddy, the only caffeinated soda we agree upon, and books on tape/DVD's from the library.  We are rolling out as soon as I get home from work, which will hopefully be around 3:30/4.  We aren't sure how many times we'll need to stop or how long the stops will be.  We are hoping to get in to Ft. Wayne by noon.

We will spend the week with my family and then start the journey for home bright and early on Friday morning.  We are driving to Michael's sister's house which is about half way for us.  We will spend Friday evening with her, as well as most of Saturday.  We are going to leave soon after dinner on Saturday night--in hopes that once again we can cash in on Olivia sleeping.  Then we will spend Sunday resting and recuperating.

Needless to say, I won't be on here this coming week.  I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving.  I'll try to take lots of pictures and fill you in on our trip!

2 comments:

  1. Have a great time!! Every one is going to absolutely love & spoil little Olivia!! :-)

    I will miss you!! :-( But will dfinitely be thinking about you!

    Love you lots!!
    Ang

    ReplyDelete