Monday, September 26, 2016

Homeschool Update

I'm asked nearly every day how homeschooling is going.  Seriously!  Which is fine.  I don't mind.  But I thought I'd just give an update on here for those interested...

The short answer is it's going really well.  We are in a rhythm that is working really well for us.  Our mornings are still slow, care free, and can be used to run errands.  We eat lunch, put Logan down for nap, and get to business.  I am really liking not having to jump right into it in the morning, because I'm not a morning person.  We did what works best for us and our situation--which is the beauty of homeschool!

oreos representing the moon phases
Olivia is really enjoying it.  Each week has a theme.  It's based around the letter of the week.  The theme is incorporated in all subjects.  Every weeks she says something like, "I always wanted to learn about (insert theme)".  Which is just about the cutest thing and makes this mommy's heart happy!

A lot of what we are doing is stuff she already knows, so I am adding my own things here and there.  But I also trust the curriculum.  I've read a lot of reviews, and everyone says that even thought it's a slow start, they will absolutely know what they need to by the end.  One of the things I am loving is the Biblical perspective and the conversations it has led us to have.  Each week there is a Biblical truth to go along with the theme.  For example, the first week was "Jesus is the light of the world" for sun. There were lots of comparisons and lessons. But then week two was "I am the light of the world" for moon.  It relayed that we reflect Jesus' light, just like the moon reflects the sun's light.  I love that!  It was so relatable for her!  She asked questions like, "is everyone the light of the world?" We've had so many great conversations. For apple week, we learned about the fruit of the spirit and bearing much fruit.  One day she did something really kind for Logan, and I said, "You did a great job bearing the fruit of kindness".  She was so proud of herself, and I loved how I could relate our lessons into our every day!

One of the things we work on the most is FOCUS!  She has so many stories going on in her head... so many ideas... so many things to say!  So we have to work on staying on task, following directions, and doing what is asked instead of wherever her mind leads.

Obviously we sometimes school in our pajamas with unbrushed hair. ;)
One of the components of the curriculum is a book basket.  The teacher's manual gives ideas for books that match up with each unit. There are informational books, easy readers, living books, and more.  Needless to say, we hit up the library at least once a week--sometimes multiple times.  I have learned how to use the request feature.  It's great!  The book basket is one of Olivia's favorite parts.  After our work is done, we curl up on the bed, and she picks out multiple books for us to read.  One thing I've noticed, is she really enjoys the classic stories. I love that!

an edible nest!
She loves all of the science experiments, crafts, hands on lessons and using manipulative's like cuisenaire rods.  Really, she loves just about everything we do.  Which makes it so easy.  She really loves doing Kindergarten at home, and she tells anyone who will ask.  We count how many days we've been in school, and she's already planning our 100 day celebration! ;)

So that's where we're at!  I love the flexibility too.  That is working out really well for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment