Monday, December 30, 2013

Doctor's Appointment

My doctor's appointment on Thursday went well.

My blood pressure was 112/80, which is "perfect".

According to their scale, I didn't gain anything from when I was there 2 1/2 weeks ago.

My fundal measurement was right between 32 and 33 weeks, which again is "perfect".

Logan's heart rate was 145.

I got blood drawn to check my iron levels and my thyroid.  Since those are "issues" I have, I have to have them checked every trimester.

I also went ahead and got the pertussis shot.  We all know that I am not a fan of extra shots, but the pertussis rate in Ohio is up by 20% this year.  Not only that, but having a winter baby in a cold state makes me a little nervous.  So I went ahead and did it.

My doctor's office was having some issues with scheduling due to the holidays.  I was having a hard time getting in for my two hour test, so they told me just to schedule it when I was in this time.  Before scheduling it, I once again discussed it with my doctor.  At my 33 1/2 week appointment with Olivia, I had gained close to 24 pounds and was measuring 38 weeks.  THIRTY-EIGHT!  Obviously that was cause for some further tests/ultrasounds.  But this time I have gained 12 pounds and am measuring right on track, so I'm not sure why I am having to do extra testing.  I reminded her that I am paying for all of this out of pocket, and that I can't really afford extra tests.  She was sympathetic, but said that I was still "at risk" because of my previous pregnancy.  My choice was to just eat a diabetic diet (which I'm sure would include a visit to a nutritionist) or get the test.  At this point I'm thinking the test will be cheaper and easier.  I am likely in the middle of the test as you read this! (Scheduled for Monday morning)

She has mentioned repeatedly that she can't induce me based on size of baby until 39 weeks (which I already knew).  That got me thinking that since she is so obsessed with Olivia's size that maybe she was planning on just inducing me regardless.  So I asked.  She said that wasn't the plan.  That we would continue to watch my fundal measurements and see how things go.  Who knows.  I might actually go into labor naturally this time?!? (Although, I am totally not against an induction.  I had the easiest time last time!)

We talked a lot about how my pregnancies have been so different.  She asked me if I felt so much smaller this time and my response was "NO!"  I feel huge.  I know for a fact that I never got to the point with Olivia where most moms get of being so uncomfortable that I just wanted to be done.  I am slowly reaching that point this time around.  She kindly reminded me that babies gain the most towards the end and he could be gaining up to a pound a week from here on out.  I have a feeling I am going to be HUGE before all of this is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment