Saturday, July 9, 2011

Going Home

Oddly, we have no pictures from our two night stay in postpartum (except for pictures of our visitors). I guess we had too many other things taking up our time.

When Olivia was born, she was not interested in eating.  The nurses just encouraged us to do skin on skin and attempt to feed every two hours.  Eventually she was suppose to come out of her funk and want to eat. We did a lot of skin on skin and a little breastfeeding the first night.  I continued to breastfeed on Friday, but wasn't exactly sure it was all going as planned.  A lactation consultant came Friday afternoon to help.  She gave me a few tips, but I didn't find her all that helpful.  I continued doing the best I could.  The problem was, I had a child that wasn't really interested in eating.  She was stubborn in the womb and she came out stubborn as well.  During the middle of the night Friday night (and into Saturday morning), she went for a 9 hour stretch where she literally refused to eat.  She would purse her lips together and not budge.  She'd turn her head away.  She just didn't want to eat for whatever reason.

Saturday morning the nurse had to "help" her have a bowl movement by using a rectal thermometer.  She also mentioned that she was slightly jaundice (9.8 on the scale), but it got better after they gave her something (I couldn't understand what she was saying), so they weren't too concerned.  I'm guessing the jaundice came from not eating... and then in turn not pooping.  Our pediatrician came and checked her out for discharge and said she wasn't too concerned.  She said if she started "glowing" then to come in Monday.  If not, we'd go in on Wednesday or Thursday.

We got discharged from the hospital Saturday morning at 11.
I brought multiple outfits to the hospital because I wasn't sure what was going to fit her.
I went with this newborn outfit (which was still a little big).

On our way

Arriving home

We didn't do much that day.  Michael ran out to get a prescription filled and a few groceries that couldn't be stocked up(milk, fruit).  Olivia slept almost the entire time, besides waking to eat, so it went kind of easy.  Going to bed was a different story.  She didn't like her bassinet, nor did she like the lights being turned out.  Eventually she went to sleep though.

More on the jaundice and breastfeeding tomorrow...
(eventually I'll catch up!)

No comments:

Post a Comment