Thursday, July 7, 2011

The Birth Story Part 2--She's here!

So I left off with pictures of her just coming out and Michael cutting the umbilical cord.  If you are a friend of either my husband or myself on facebook, you may have heard or seen some of this.  Again, this is a way for me to document it for us and you just get to peek inside.  Hopefully you still enjoy it.  Who knows--there may be some pictures or facts that you did not see on facebook! :)

At our hospital, everything for the baby is done in the room.  (Unless, of course, she would have had to be taken to the NICU.)  A nursery nurse is in the room at delivery, and she has her little station that she goes to.  While my doctor was tending to me, Michael was by Olivia taking tons of pictures and videos.  The little station was literally like three feet to my right, so I was able to see everything that was going on as well.

She cried when she was born, but she had a little gunk in her lungs that needed to be suctioned out.  (She later spit a bunch more out and Michael even had to suction her while in our postpartum room.)



















Check out that cone head!  She measured at 20 1/2 inches at birth, but they warned us that she might lose some of that height when her head goes down.  When we went to the pediatrician a few days later she measured at 19 3/4 inches.

 
She was also pretty swollen...and not so happy






















 Everyone (doctor and nurses) kept talking about four things over and over: How much hair she had, how beautiful she was, how chubby her cheeks are, and how huge her umbilical cord was.



















I had never heard of a fat umbilical cord before, so I asked what it meant.  They said it was a good thing.  It just meant that she was getting a lot of nutrition in the womb.  No wonder she was so big!

Daddy loving his little girl



















First family photo (keepin' it real style)


















First bath (by nurse)













The nurse said because she had so much hair she had to wash it in the sink.  Olivia screamed the during most of the bath, but she loved having her hair washed (and she still does).















 















 

All clean, cozy and cute




























As soon as my doctor was done fixing me up, she asked me what she could get me.  She offered me a soda and I took her up on it! :)

Also, I was brought a yummy dinner.  I could pick anything I wanted.  The nurse suggested a mushroom swiss burger, so I went with that.  The funny thing is, I wasn't really all that hungry once I was able to eat (even though it had been 24 hours since I ate last).  I forced myself to eat half of it.  Michael was given whatever the dinner of the night was.  He didn't mind.  It was all good food.

At our hospital, you stay in the labor and delivery room for 2 hours and then get moved to postpartum.  By the time everything got taken care of, we were moving at 10 o'clock.  I ended up being in the room 24 hours exactly.

No comments:

Post a Comment