Friday, July 6, 2012

One Year Doctor's Appointment

We had Olivia's one year doctor's appointment last week.  I know some of this is boring for some of you, but I use my blog often to look back at things, so I like to keep all of the information on here.

And because posts without pictures are boring, I'm going to use the pictures from our little impromptu father's day session. :)


*As posted in her 12 month post, she was 24 pounds, 7 ounces (91%), 31 inches (95%), and has a head circumference of 19 inches (99%).  Her weight percentage went down from 98% at her 9 month appointment.  Her height went up.  It was 91%. Her head remained exactly the same percentage. :)



*The doctor came in and immediately said, "Wow! She's a tall girl."  He kept mentioning that she was going to be tall when she grows up.  I thought it was too early to tell that.  The earliest I heard that you could know something like that was 18 months.  Most say 2 to 3 years.  Either way, she is tall now.  Time will tell if she stays that way.  I've always guessed that she would be around 5' 6" or 5' 7".  She will most definitely be taller than my 5' 3 1/2"!

 

*The funny thing is, we had a different nurse than we've ever had before and when I watched her measure her, I thought she didn't get Olivia's full length.  She didn't draw the line at the bottom of her feet, but rather at the side.  It's not that big of a deal, so I didn't mention it.  I just think it's funny that everyone was going on about how she was so tall, and I don't even think they got the most accurate measurement.



*One of my main questions or concerns was about our switch from formula to almond milk.  I wanted to make sure that I was supplementing with any foods, vitamins, etc that she may need.  He said that since almond milk doesn't have all of the healthy fats that cows milk does, it's good to get that from other places.  His suggestion was avocado.  The ONE and ONLY food she refuses. :(  He also said eggs.  He did say that you can get those healthy fats through topical ways that absorb into the skin.  I have yet to put coconut oil or olive oil on her skin, but that was a recommendation.  I'm just trying to figure out the logistics of that (when, for how long, etc.).


*He said that almond milk was a good choice for her because she is a bigger girl and it's lower in calories.  However, coconut milk has some good qualities (insert doctor-big-word-gibberish) to it that almond milk does not provide, so it wouldn't be a bad idea to be giving her some of that as well.  I did find these little baby pouch smoothie things at Wal-mart that have coconut milk in them, so I am going to use those.  I'm thinking about using coconut milk yogurt sometimes too.  He was very pleased with the fact that I was giving her almond milk yogurt.  He said it sounded like she eats pretty healthy and he was pleased with my choices.



*They have  been very verbal in the past about exactly how much formula I was giving.  She had been taking about 18 ounces of formula, and I was assuming we needed to drop that.  He said that when it comes to almond/coconut milk, there really isn't a set amount she can or cannot have.  The reason why they give limits with cows milk (or dairy formula), is that too much can actually cause the baby to be anemic.  She is currently still drinking around 18 ounces a day, but I am thinking of dropping that some.  The difference is that her formula was 100 calories per 5 ounces.  Almond milk is 60 calories for 8 ounces.  She is definitely a good eater, so she doesn't really need those calories.  However, in the heat I like to make sure she stays hydrated.  She moved from her formula to her almond milk without skipping a beat!  Her 3 sippy cups of milk a day is one of her favorite things!


*The doctor did say that at age 2 we will be able to do some more in depth testing to see if she has outgrown her issues or to help us pin point exactly what strand of protein is causing her the issues.  Apparently this is a test that is usually only done at allergists offices, but since our pediatricians office deals a lot with allergies (and food issues being the root of other issues), the company allows them to do the testing.  Hopefully she will have outgrown it by then, but if not, it will be nice to know exactly what we have to avoid.  There are SO MANY forms that both dairy and soy come in.  To avoid them all is sometimes a challenge.


*That was pretty much it.  As we were wrapping up the appointment he asked "how's her amber necklace working out for her?".  I love that.  I was never recommended to get it by my doctors.  The fact that he knew exactly what it was pleased me.  Most people think it's for decoration. 

1 comment:

  1. I use an Organic Virgin Coconut oil by Spectrum (you can get a 14 oz jar at Walmart). It's $7 I believe . . . Comes as a solid but liquifies easily with warm water or in a bathroom w/ the shower steam.

    Leaves skin super soft & not greasy!

    Love all her pictures!!

    Love you!
    Ang

    ReplyDelete