Saturday, July 7, 2012

A Carseat PSA

Alright, I know some of you already think I'm a little loony when it comes to some of my parenting choices.  I am perfectly fine with this.  I probably think you are a little loony (uninformed) myself.  :)  I guess that's what makes the world go round, right? However, this post isn't about my opinion.  It is about fact and ultimately the life and death safety of your child.

My intention for this post is not to call anyone out or step on anyone's toes.  I don't have anyone in mind when writing this.  I am simply passing along information that I myself didn't even know 6 months ago.  I figure that if I didn't know it, then there is a pretty good chance that some of you don't know either.  I knew the law was rear facing for 1 year, but that the new suggestion was 2 years.  I had no idea how important rear facing is.  I was asked on Olivia's birthday if we were turning her car seat around.  My answer was an emphatic "No!"  So here we go....

The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) announced that parents should keep their children in rear facing car seats up until age two (not one, as previously recommended). The newest research has shown that kids in rear facing seats are more than five times safer than those riding in forward facing seats. Statistics from recent studies have shown that children under the age of 2 who ride in rear facing seats are 75% less likely to die or suffer major injury during a collision. (source)

SEVENTY FIVE PERCENT less likely to be seriously injured or die!?!  Um, how can you argue with that?  Really, there is SO MUCH I could say on the topic.  Instead, I'm going to ask you to watch this 6 minute video.  Part of it is about a real life story, but it also includes crash tests.  If it doesn't change your mind about extended rear facing, then I doubt any statistic or tidbit of info I could share would. 


The words "internal decapitation" are enough for us to keep Olivia rear facing for as long as possible.  Some people argue that their legs are too long and it's uncomfortable.  Listen--legs can break and heal....spines, not so much.  Kids sit with their legs crossed all the time anyway.  Olivia is 95th percentile for height, so it's not like I won't be dealing with this issue soon myself.  Either way, we plan on keeping her rear facing for as long as possible.  Hopefully until she reaches the 40 pound maximum that our carseat allows.

I do understand that there are a few reasons why it might be necessary to switch sooner.  If she was getting car sick and throwing up every day, I might consider it too.  Or if she was screaming bloody murder every time she was in the car (and therefore distracting me from safe driving), then I might consider it. But I just don't buy into the whole "rear facing is boring" argument.  Olivia doesn't know the difference, and neither will your kid.  I also don't think you can justify your own comfort--having to push your seat up a little farther than you'd like--for the life and death safety of your child.

Like I said, there is a whole lot more that I could say.  Instead, I strongly encourage you to do your research!!!!

Also, I suggest going to a car seat check place.  It's usually free, as far as I know.  I've seen lots of kids (both in pictures and in person) strapped in incorrectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment