Thursday, September 22, 2011

Even in the Small Things...

When the thought of moving to Texas turned into a reality, Michael and I knew that finding friends would be important.  Obviously there are no "co-workers" in my line of work, so that wasn't going to be too helpful.  Finding a church was a priority of ours.  We knew we needed to find a church that we not only liked but that had a good group of people our age.  Finding a church that met our criteria was important.  We knew that one with life groups was going to be a must.  Luckily, we found such a place.  (Ok, so this post isn't really about my church, but oh my gosh do I love it!)

In finding a church home, we found a group of amazing people.  One couple we clicked with almost immediately.  Not only did our personalities click, but we have a similar story.  They just moved to Texas (from California) in January.  They are around our age, and they are expecting their first child--a girl!  How perfect?  We decided to meet for dinner one night and haven't looked back since.  We have honestly hung out with them more in the last 4 months than we did with any other couple in Ohio in the FOUR YEARS we were married and living there.

We joke that Alycia and I could be twins.  We have very similar personalities.  We have a lot of the same likes and dislikes.  We also have the same opinion on a lot of things. The first three times we all went out to eat together, we literally ordered identical meals.  We say the same things at the same exact times.  It's crazy.  Michael and Wil are pretty similar in temperament as well.  We are already planning on our daughters being best friends.  Since none of us has any family here, we are going to step in as "aunt" and "uncle" for each other.  Isn't it amazing how God knew exactly what we would need and was orchestrating another couples move (all the way across the country from us) at the exact same time?!  He was looking out for us... even in the small things.

Here is an example of exactly how crazy it is....

We were sitting at a restaurant once and it was rather loud.  Michael has trouble hearing in situations like that.  He has some hearing loss from being in The Marines.  (That's what happens when you work on helicopters and have to be on the shooting range often.  Ear protection can only do so much!)  He tries his best, but sometimes he just has to explain that he can't really hear.  This was one of those times.  It got us all talking about hearing loss.  Then Alycia says, "I know.  My dad is deaf... at least in one ear.  I wish he would just get a hearing aide already."  I thought to myself "sounds familiar", but I didn't really say anything.  Then she goes on to say, "When he was young, he was holding a firecracker in his hand and went to throw it and it went off by his ear.  Now he can't hear out of that ear."  Honestly, my mouth DROPPED!  I almost didn't want to say what was coming next, just because I felt like a copycat.  I said, "No way!  The SAME. EXACT. THING. happened to MY dad."  She just looked at me for a minute.  Seriously.  How weird is that?  We have the exact same story.  If she said her dad lived in Tennessee I was going to start to wonder (kidding!)... but he lives in Colorado.

We are so blessed to have amazing friends.  I am so glad that God thought to think of us in the small things.  Even crazy stories about our dad's not hearing out of one ear.  We are counting down the days until their new bundle of joy arrives.  Let the fun begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment