Thursday, August 8, 2013

Just for fun

I thought I'd just throw a fun post together about some of the things I will miss about Texas.  Of course, some are a little more serious than others.  There may be others that I can't think of off the top of my head, but here is a good start:

Things I will miss...
(in no particular order)

*MOPS-Yes, I can and will join a MOPS group in Ohio, but I am really going to miss the group that I am apart of now.  I have met some really great women.  It was something I always looked forward to.  I am afraid that the group in Ohio will be "different" (as is normal, no two groups are exactly alike) and that I will just compare in my head and not enjoy myself.  I am also really going to miss being on the steering committee.  I was so looking forward to it.  The girls I met on the team and the little bit of time I spent with them has made me want to make them lifelong friends.  They are so genuine, caring, friendly and real.

*TIN STAR
 As my friend Alycia says, "I can form a religion around those tacos".  The thing is, I'm not even a fan of Mexican or Tex Mex.  I never have been.  But I love these tacos.  I don't even care about the unlimited chips and salsa.  I don't eat any.  Two number 1 tacos with the chipotle sour cream and I am in heaven.  Really, I'm just going to miss the yummy tortillas you can get down here.  I don't know of any place up north that makes your tortillas to order. Mmmm...  I will be eating here at least one more time before I leave.

*CENTRAL TIME.  It may sound silly, but I like central time.  I grew up with central time and had to get use to Eastern time when I moved to Ohio.  Who wants to watch the news at 11?  Not me. (Not that I watch the news anyway).  I just like that nights start at 7 and end at 10.   I realize that is mostly based on TV, and I don't even watch live TV in the evenings, but still....

*THE WEATHER
This really can go both ways.  I love the snow.  I also love a REAL fall (i.e. in the north).  So while I will be happy to have those back, I will miss the early spring and wearing flip flops from March to October.  I do love the snow, but not quite for so long.  So I will miss the short winter.  I haven't worn a winter coat since we've lived here, so I'm going to have to be investing in one for this coming winter.  A maternity one at that.

*FRIENDS-While a lot of the friends I have made also are part of MOPS, there are people outside of MOPS that I am going to miss.  Friends we have made at church and by attending The Little Gym every week.  I am going to miss Miss Christi as a Olivia's teacher, but also as a friend.  It's so hard to start over at this age.

*OUR PEDIATRICIAN
I know I have raved about her before, but I am really going to miss our pediatrician.  I have already started looking for holistic pediatricians in the Columbus area, but like with all things new it still worries me.  I love that our pediatrician knows so many alternatives and doesn't just hand out medicine recklessly.  I love that she understand the connection between food and many common ailments, and I love that we have been able to dictate our own vaccination schedule.  I pray that we find someone equally as awesome near our new home.
 
*CONSIGNMENTS- I enjoy being the admin of the Facebook consignment group.  I have looked in my new area and there doesn't appear to be anything quite as good.  We have 4000+ members so it is a BUSY group, which makes it great for buying and selling.  So far the ones I've found in my new area are not kid specific and they only have a couple hundred people.  I have got some amazing deals off of these sites, so I will be sad if there is nothing like it.  I also love some of our local consignment sales.  Some are good and some are not as good.  I'm hoping any that I go to in Columbus will be on the better side.  I get about 80% of Olivia's clothes that way.  (10% are probably gifts and 10% I buy new because I can't resist! :)

*BABES CHICKEN
 Yes, that is actually what the place looks like. :)  There are no menus.  You get the same family style sides every time--biscuits, salad, green beans, corn, mashed potatoes and gravy.  Then you choose your meat. There are about 6 choices.  Mostly they are all chicken.  I think there is one non chicken choice.  The price is set.  You can add a drink if you'd like.  We have never made it to dessert.  The sides are all you can eat and the chicken comes in heaping servings.  It is so good!  They say "people come for the biscuits and stay for the chicken".  I could eat both all day long!

*FRIENDLY PEOPLE-I think I can say this because I am a born and raised northerner... but it is true.  People down here are much friendlier.  There are still the ones that get cranky or rude, but over all people are much nicer down here.

*SUNSHINE

It's true.  While there are many things I do love about Columbus... it is a very gray city.  I'm not making it up.  And on the flip side, Dallas is a very sunny city.  Even on the few days that it does start out rainy or cloudy, the sun always ends up popping out.  I am going to miss the sun.

*MICHELLE
I am going to miss being close to Michelle for all of my 31 needs.  I can go to the bi-monthly meetings in Columbus.  I can also call her or text when needed. But it has been nice to have her close.

*TEXAS TYPE ACTIVITIES-- I like that we can go to the rodeo any weekend we want.  I like taking bluebonnet pictures every year.  I like the strong feeling of patriotism.  People don't walk around in cowboy hats and spurs, but I am going to miss all things "Texas".

Things I will NOT miss...

--the crazy and entitled drivers

--fire ants: I honestly didn't even know ants bit until I moved here.  It is AWFUL. I would rather be stung by a bee.  I now HATE ants. Hate.

--spiders: we are on the second floor right now, so we don't see as many as we use to.  But still.  They are around.

--the blazing heat

No comments:

Post a Comment