Friday, May 3, 2013

A Week In The Life--Thursday

It has been in the 80's the last couple of days, but today's high was suppose to be in the 50's.  How ridiculous is that.  This is May... in Texas.  As I type this it is 42 degrees outside.  Ay yi yi....

So the crazy weather + the only day I had nothing on the calendar = staying at home all day!
Olivia asked for breakfast pretty much first thing.

Then we just had a lazy morning of play
Usually her people and animals end up all over the place throughout the day.  Last night they got picked up and put on the shelf.  She ran over and said, "Oooh, so many friends!"

After playing with her Little People it was time for a tea party.

Which led to "cooking" in her kitchen.

We did a puzzle and then got her dressed for the day.
I got her all set up with some coloring and then I started doing a good cleaning of the kitchen while she was confined to her high chair!

She colored three pictures and then did some stickers.
As you can see, she's no longer worried about the stickers overlapping.  Now she overlaps them as much as she can.

She did one water color page

Since I had the art basket out, I went ahead and did a quick little intro of the scissors.

Then she spent about twenty minutes whining.  She asked for lunch pretty early.  I started getting it going, but she just wanted my attention.  She briefly fluttered from blocks to her magnetic letters to her train stacker, but mostly she stood at my feet trying to get me to move faster or something.

I am finding that the older she gets, the harder it is to have days where we just stay at home all day.  It's like she knows from the very beginning that it's going to be an "at home" day and she immediately turns into a high maintenance attention seeker who has suddenly forgotten how to entertain herself. Ugh.

Lunch!

 She was a little happier with food in her belly.  She climbed up in the chair and started reading reciting the five little monkeys book---over and over.

Hallelujah, we made it to nap!  She made up for yesterday's poor nap by giving me a little longer of one today.

I spent nap time finishing up cleaning the kitchen (including scrubbing the floor), showering (yes, in the middle of the afternoon) and then being lazy watching Friday Night Lights and surfing the web.

After nap she spotted the file folder games that I had worked on.
This is her saying "Is that a "G"? Noooooo" until she found the right letter.
She did great at the letter matching.

She really wanted to do this one because of the animals.  She's not great at number recognition though.  She can count and do one to one correspondence type things, but she only knows a few of her numbers.  So I ended up just sort of walking her through this one.  Then she did part of a shapes one and lost interest.

We spent the rest of the afternoon just playing with the same old things.  We had a little music party.  We played with Elmo and her babies. She revisited her Little People.  She threw her ball around and rode on her little scooter thing. I had put it in the garage, but recently brought it back up thinking she may want to scoot around on it after riding on the open gym toys.

I was convinced that since it was such a long day, I was going to have to use the TV as a babysitter in order to make dinner.  Shockingly, she was perfectly happy to play with Mr. Potato Head the entire time.

After dinner she played with Michael and then he gave her a bath.

She loves to climb on our "big bed", so we snuggled in there for a bit.  She likes to pretend to go to sleep.  She tells us "good night" and "sweet dreams" and then starts fake snoring.  She's such a funny girl.

I brought a stack of books in and we just laid there reading until it was time to do her night time routine.  My favorite part was her prayer.  Usually I pray the same prayer and have her try to repeat it.  I say it in first person so that when she repeats it, it is like she is praying.  I figure this is the best way to teach her how to pray at this age.  Well, tonight she had her own prayer... and it was nothing like the one I pray, but still super sweet and memorable.

She said, "Thank you God for this day.  Thank you God for my friends.  Thank you for my light.  Thank you for my babies.  Thank you for myself. Amen."  
The first two lines she learned at MOPS.  The rest, she made up along the way.  I couldn't help but laugh at the "thank you for myself".

That pretty much sums up our day.

No comments:

Post a Comment