Tuesday, April 10, 2012

75 Days

When I signed on to the bump yesterday that is what it said.  75 days until Olivia's birthday.  That means we are now down to 74... and counting.  I can't believe it!  That seems like such a small number to me.

I'm not going to lie, I was thinking about her birthday before she was even born.  You may remember that I posted about it once while I was pregnant.  To say my birthday has always pretty much sucked is putting it nicely.  I won't go into details (although I will say--who doesn't get their kid a freaking birthday cake!?!?!), but I decided a loooonng time ago that my children would have fond birthday memories.  Whether I spend $2 on a box cake or $2000 on a lavish party (I wouldn't--just saying) doesn't matter.  Making a day special isn't about the money.  It's about the thought.  The little touches.  It's about celebrating!

And celebrate we will.  Heck, I'm celebrating too.  The first birthday is just as much about the parents as it is the kids.  We all know the baby won't remember it.  I think we get to celebrate making it through the first year.  Those sleepless nights deserve a big fat piece of birthday cake!

I now have 74 days to pull everything together for Olivia's day of celebration.  I've been scouring pinterest looking for ideas.  I don't want to give too much away, but here's the scoop so far:

Location: I have been worrying about this for MONTHS!  Our apartment is too small and it is too hot in Texas to have a summer party outside.  We finally decided to have it at our church.  It isn't my first choice by any means, but given my options it will work.

The date: Olivia's birthday (June 23rd) happens to fall on a Saturday so her party will be on her actual birthday.

The theme:  We are going with owls.  I seriously picked the theme while I was still pregnant.  It's super trendy now, but that's ok.  It's not nearly as popular as The Very Hungry Caterpillar. :)  Plus, Olivia likes owls.  She has owl toys, owl books, an owl high chair and stroller, owl pajamas, an owl towel...the list goes on.

Colors: The colors will be a really bright pink and a turquoise blue.  It's going to be a little tricky.  Lots of things are pink and green.  I like pink and green (hello, our wedding), but I want something different.

Details: I plan on doing as much of the stuff as I can.  It's a nice little project for me.  I'm looking at doing a more sophisticated party than a kiddie party.  I'll have years and years of kiddie parties to do.  She doesn't know what is going on, so now is my chance to have the party my way! :)

I'm pretty excited.  I have come up with lots of cute little ideas.  I've already started ordering and collecting items.  I plan to hit up Hobby Lobby later this week for craft supplies.  It's going to be cute.  I just wish all of ya'll could be here to celebrate!  You are all welcome!

3 comments:

  1. Sigh...I wish you were closer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree...the party is a celebration for the parents making it through the first year! I remember at Sammy's Dave and I said a few words before we ate to thank everyone for coming, and I started crying because I told everyone we were so happy to have made it through! Haha! After the first few sleepless nights with Eli, Dave looked at me and said, we just have to make it through the first year! Enjoy planning...can't wait to see pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sure it's goin to be amazing! :-) YOu are sooo talented!

    Love you B!! :-)

    Ang

    ReplyDelete