Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Olivia's Birthday

We continued the birthday celebration on Sunday, which was Olivia's actual birthday.

If you know me personally, or have been around here for long enough, then you know that I don't have the best of birthday memories.  So I swore a long time ago that my kid's birthdays would be SPECIAL.  Special doesn't have to be extravagant.  I just wanted to make sure the day was all about her and was fun.

If we were having a party, I probably wouldn't have gone with a character theme.  It's not my thing.  In fact, months and months ago (before we decided to not have a party) I was planning a barnyard theme.  But since it was just for us, I went with a Sesame Street/Elmo theme.  She's not in love or obsessed with it, but she likes it and it was easily available.

We hung up a banner
And hung streamers from her door.
We can't open her door when she sleeps or she would pop right up.  So instead we just put the balloons in front of her door.  When we walked in in the morning we kicked them all in with us.

All her presents were waiting for her.
(Those are from us and from 2 different grandma's)

When she woke up we went in and sang Happy Birthday to her.
She actually had on "special" pajamas too.  She has been in the same size forever, so she is still wearing pajamas that she she wore last fall!  Some of them are light enough weight and we keep it cool at night, so they work. But some are fleece.  So I've just been picking up a pair here and a pair there that can work for summer.  These Elmo pajamas came from Wal-mart.  Once I noticed they had cupcakes on them, I just waited 2 weeks to let her wear them. :)

She ran out and said, "It's a bicycle!!!!"  We aren't sure where she learned that, but she was thrilled with it.  It was actually a $20 buy off of a Facebook buy/sell page. :)

We spent the next half hour opening and playing with gifts.
They most consisted of lots of educational toys, puzzles and games.

For a special treat she got a donut for breakfast.  She ate it on the "You are Special" plate that I made at a mom's night out.

We got her dressed and she got to Skype with her grandma while I got ready.
I bought that skirt a LONG time ago on clearance and she has never worn it.  I had my friend make her a shirt to match it. She also had monogrammed bloomers! So cute! :)

Next up, we headed to Chuck E Cheese.  I was slightly disappointed.  I use to take Little Man all the time and it seems like the one in Ohio had more things for the little ones.  But she still had fun.


We didn't eat there.  Instead we went to Chili's and got her some pasta.  The waiters sang to her and brought her a dessert.  Her face was priceless.  She was both shocked and amused.

We headed home and it was right to nap for our little birthday girl.

Our friends came over shortly after she woke up.  She has one friend that she knows the best and talks about the most, so that is who we invited over.  The girls just played and we all chatted.  Then we had dinner.

Of course, it's not a birthday without cake!
She was enjoying everyone singing to her!

She's still working on blowing out candles, so Boppa had to help her.


After our friends left, we watched Finding Nemo, which they had brought her as a gift.

All in all, I think she had a pretty fun birthday weekend! :)
We can't believe our girl is 2!

1 comment: