Tuesday, August 23, 2011

2nd Month Must Haves

Yep, it's that time again!  We've made it through another (rough!) month.  We are still loving and using almost all of the items from our first month of must haves.  We have a few more to add to the list though.

Gas Drops

Oh my word--these are LIQUID GOLD for us.  It has gotten better, but there were times that gas drops were the only thing that would stop the insane screaming.  You are not to exceed 12 doses a day and I'm pretty sure there were some days where she got the full 12!  It was instant silence.  I don't think the drops could work that fast.  I think she just likes the flavor.  I don't care.  If it worked, then I was trying it.  We also use gripe water, but the gas drops work better.  Gad drops are medicinal.  Gripe water is more like giving your baby ginger ale for a stomach ache.  Gripe water works great for those pesky hiccups though.

Praise Baby DVD's
I have given these as gifts multiple times.  I have only heard great things about them.  In fact, my cousin Sonja said it was the best baby gift she got.  I knew I wanted them.  Thankfully, Olivia loves them.  We will lay her on the ottoman, push it close to the TV, and put it on.  Her little legs kick with glee and she will be content for the whole half hour.  I'm sure as she grows she'll enjoy them more and more.  Plus, they are filled with great praise and worship songs so I enjoy them too.  We have four of the DVD's and one CD.

A Vibrating Bouncer
 I registered for a bouncer that bounces on its own.  It's convenient and we used it.  My friend Jen got us this vibrating bouncer as well.  I decided to take this one to work with me so that I had somewhere to put Olivia when necessary.  What I found out was that she loved the vibrations and would sit (not screaming!) for an hour!  Our other bouncer doesn't vibrate.  I had no clue this would be important.  We ended up picking up a vibrating chair we found on clearance to use at our house.  We now have a total of 3 bouncers.  Desperate times call for desperate measures! :)

Books
 We try to read to her daily.  When in the right mood, she really enjoys it.  Of course, I appreciate the educational and developmental perks. :)

Changing Table
 I know some people say changing tables aren't really necessary.  They say it's a waste of money--that you end up changing the baby anywhere and everywhere.  Maybe it's the convenient set up of our apartment, but Olivia is only changed on her changing table (or the pack and play changer in the middle of the night).  She enjoys her changing table, and I enjoy that the mess is on disposable pads.  She pees mid change (often!), she poops mid change (often!), and has even shot it across the room before.  I rather that be on washable wood then carpet or the couch.  The $115 was worth it in my book!

Diaper Champ
 I chose the diaper champ (as opposed to other diaper pails) for a few reasons. 1) I've heard mixed reviews on other brands. 2) I used it for Little Man, so it was familiar and I knew it held the smell in well. 3) You use regular trash bags. No buying the expensive refills.  It has worked out well.  We have just had a WEEK of excessive (nasty smelling) poop, and this thing has contained the smell and was super convenient during messy clean ups.
Side note--We finally get the puking and screaming under control only to move right in to 8 to 13 poops a day!!  We're a mess!  More on that drama to come.

Baby K'tan
 I never thought that I would be a baby wearer.  That's why I didn't register for any of the carriers out there.  However, my daughter has decided that she is a fan of being held ALL. THE. TIME.  Of course, she only wants to be held by me.  I would love to hold her all day long, but sometimes I have other things to do--like make Little Man's lunch and such.  Besides that-it kills the back.  My mother-in-law recently bought the baby k'tan for me and I am in love.  It has 8 different positions.  She can only be in about 2 of them right now.  Once she has better neck control we'll be able to try out other positions.  She loves to look around and see what's going on.  I think she'll love be able to look out.  It says it's good for up to 42 pounds or 4 years old.  I won't be carrying her that long, but I will be using it often now that I have it.


3 comments:

  1. We still LOVE praise baby! We use the CDs and DVDs on the long trips back to SD and they calm the boys like nothing else. We also used the vibrating bouncer daily when they were that age. As far as books go, we love the one pictured and we have tons of Sandra Boytons books. They are the boys' absolute favorites. Do you have very many?
    Is the k'tan similar to the moby? It looks like it in the pic. Never wore the boys but am thinking it might be very helpful with the new baby so I have hands free for the boys. Are they comparable in price? How did you choose it over any other carriers? I don't want to spend a ton of money not knowing if she'll like it or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As of right now we don't have any Sandra Boyton books. I pulled out some of Little Man's baby books and read them to Olivia when we are at his house. The one pictured seems to be her favorite--most engaged/looking at pictures. I just ordered it in a box set off of Amazon. I know Sandra Boyton is a favorite for baby books. I'm going to a consignment sale this weekend and I'm hoping to score some more books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I were to have made lists like this, ours for the first two months so far would be identical! I still love the Praise Baby videos for the music (like them much better than Baby Einstein), Sandra is one of Sammy's absolute favorites (he loved the going to bed one for a while), and Sammy lived in his bouncy chair for a long time! So glad things are going well...I can't believe how much Olivia has changed already!!

    ReplyDelete