Sunday, February 24, 2013

Another carseat PSA

Someone posted this on the bump, and I simultaneously grinned and agreed.
Although, the sad part is that I wish I didn't have to.

So I figured I'd just give a few quick visuals to help anyone who is still confused.
While most of this is true regardless of the situation, check your car seat manual for specifics.

(source)
 I'm just not sure how anyone can argue with those statistics?!?!

 (source)
This breaks it down pretty well.

Oh, and I know what some of you are thinking... or have heard others say.
"We didn't even have car seats and we're still alive."

True. But that doesn't mean others weren't as lucky.

Take that and put it aside though.  Say everyone in our generation who didn't grow up sitting in car seats survived crashes.  First, do you know what kind of cars were driven back then?  I'll refresh your memory. TANKS.  They were tanks. They are not comparable to the cars these days.  Second, life was slower.  People weren't (as)overwhelmed, (as)in a hurry, or (as) distracted.  Third, there were NO cell phones!!!!  I mean, that alone makes driving these days much more crazy. Much less all the other fancy devices cars have these days that take your eyes off the road.

It's your child.  Outside of the law saying rear facing until 1 and a car seat until 4 and 40 pounds, the decision will ultimately be on you.  I just hope you are making an informed one.  Not because I'm some car seat Nazi or think I'm "better than you" or am all knowing.  But because I want your child(ren) to be safe.

Hopefully this helped someone.

And, YES, Olivia is 20 months and still rear racing.  We hope to keep her that way until she reaches the 40 pound maximum that her car seat allows for rear facing.

No comments:

Post a Comment