Wednesday, May 14, 2014

My Mother's Day

My Mother's Day might have been a little unconventional to some people, but it was perfect for me.

It actually started around 3:30 AM when Logan woke up for his middle of the night feeding and I did not have to get up and do it.  I didn't get up with him at 5:30 AM when he decided he wanted his day to start.  Michael's goal was to allow me to sleep in as long as I wanted to.  Although I heard Olivia on the monitor before Michael did, so I got up at 7:20.  It's not quite sleeping in compared to my old standards, but since my days have been starting between 5:30 and 6 AM the past month I will take 7:20!

Michael went and got me Starbucks.  That has been our thing since we first got married. I get Starbucks for breakfast on my birthday and on Mother's Day.  It's one of my love languages. ;)

We sat around and had a relaxing morning.  Then Michael took care of the kids while I got ready. In peace.  There was no baby sitting in a bouncer on the bathroom floor, or a toddler pulling back the curtain saying "Mommy, what are you doing?".  It was just me and my super hot water. Ahhh.

So if you read yesterday's post, then you know that Michael was unemployed.  His gift to me was time alone.  He decided that he would take the kids to his mom's house and that I could just go and have the day to myself.  Some people may think that is strange. To some, Mother's Day equals spending quality time with your children.  But I am a stay at home mom.  I spend all day, every day, with my children.  And with Michael being off work these past two weeks, we have had plenty of family time.  He figured that this was a win/win.  I get time by myself.  His mom gets to see her grandbabies. And he got help with the kids.  Perfect.

I tried to come up with something to do that would be relatively cheap, but still enjoyable.

I started out at the movie theater.  The first matinee of the day is only $5.
I saw Mom's Night Out.
It was cute, relatable, funny, and wholesome.

From there I headed to lunch.  Some girls in one of the groups I'm in had mentioned PANERA the other day, so I had a bit of a craving for it.

I needed a few health and beauty products, so I wandered TARGET.  Did I mention I was by myself!?

What would a day by myself be without checking out a craft store?  I would have loved to walk Hobby Lobby, but since it was Sunday I settled for JOANN'S.  I'm working on a menu board for my kitchen.  I found a frame for 60% off, so I snatched it up.

From there I headed to KOHL'S.  I had $10 worth of rewards to spend.  I ended up finding a picture for my kitchen.  With the $10 free and a 20% off coupon, plus the fact that it was on sale for 50% off, I spent $2.50.  Not too shabby.

Lastly, I roamed the aisles of HOME GOODS before heading back to my mother-in-law's house.

We had dinner there, headed home to put the kids to bed, and had a relaxing evening.

In the movie, the husband of the lead actress talked about how on an airplane you have to put on the oxygen mask on yourself before you can help others.  He told his wife to "put on the oxygen mask" and take care of herself so that she could be a better wife and mom.  I'm thankful that I was able to take some time for myself and put on my oxygen mask.  Even more so, that my husband knew that this would be the perfect gift for me at this stage in my life.  It may have seemed like an odd gift to some, but it was just the kind of thing I needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment