Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Biggest Loser Pizza Burgers

It's no secret, I love reality TV.  One of the shows I enjoy watching is The Biggest Loser.  It's motivating, it has a little drama, it has dramatic before and afters, and has a gaming element that is fun.

Of course, I love cooking too, and I'm trying to be healthier.  So because I have a cookbook addiction of those reasons, I have a few of the cookbooks.  Everything I've made out of them has been really good too.

One recipe that I've made quite a bit are the Pizza Burgers.  They are pretty simple and super tasty.

This recipe can be found in The Biggest Loser Family Cookbook

First, you preheat a grill to high heat.  We don't have a grill, nor do we have a place to put a grill, so I just use the George Foreman.  It works out just fine.

The line up

In a large bowl, mix 1 pound (96% lean) ground beef, 1 tsp dried oregano, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 to 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (to taste), and 1/4 tsp salt.  


Combine well and form into four patties.
The book says to grill the burgers for about 2 minutes per side for medium rare.  Do not smash the burgers with a spatula.  I do them for about 6 to 7 minutes on the George Foreman.

A minute before they are done, put the cheese on top and let melt.

Meanwhile, spoon some (low fat, lower sodium, low sugar) marinara sauce into a microwave safe dish and microwave about 30 seconds, or until hot.  Again, the book says to place the bun halves, cut side down, on the upper grill rack for about 20 seconds.  I use the toaster! :)
Place a patty on the bun 

and then spoon about 2 tablespoons of sauce on top

Serve! 
Yummy!

1 comment:

  1. yum! I love making those too!! very easy and very yummy and healthy!!!

    ReplyDelete