Thursday, August 11, 2016

KINDERGARTEN!

Well, it's finally here.  Olivia has been waiting, asking, and begging for months to start.  She is super excited about being a Kindgergartner and about being homeschooled!

We had our annual "ice cream for dinner on the night before the first day" meal on Sunday night.

It's always a big hit!

I'm sure this is going to turn into a favorite tradition around here. They really never get ice cream at home, and rarely when we are out, so this is a big deal.  (You've probably seen every time they've had it, because it was likely for a reason I blogged about. LOL!)

A few people have asked why we started so early.  There are a few reasons.  First, because Olivia really wanted to.  Second, because we had our summer fun, and it's blazing hot outside.  So we are basically done with summer. :)  Third, because then I can take off a week here and a week there and still be more than on track.

He's concentrating here, but he was giddy with excitement.

Her finished product!

Her first day pictures!

I actually decided a few weeks ago that we would do our schooling in the afternoon.  Originally I was going to do mornings because that's just what you are "suppose to" do.  And I know as a teacher that kids are more focused and ready to learn first thing.  But after I started thinking about our schedule, life, and needs, I realized that it was going to be much more productive for us to do it during nap time.

Nap time is the main reason for this.  Not because I was worried about Logan bothering us.  But since he naps every day from around 1 to 3-4, it has us home bound during that time. And since I start getting dinner ready around 4/4:30 so that we can eat at 5, there is no chance that we could go anywhere after he woke up.  So that would mean if we were schooling in the morning, we would never have time to run errands, got to events, etc.  So by doing our school while he sleeps, our mornings are free to go on play dates, take classes, run errands, go to the library, etc.

So our morning was a normal one.  We ate lunch, put buddy to bed, and took our pictures before our big start.
My little beauty!

Our little corner all ready to go.  We had about 90% of that, and we just repurposed it for our use.  A few things were new, like the calendar, dry erase board, cork board, and map poster.  I'm sure our room and needs will change over the years, but for now this is perfect for us.

The truth is about 90% of what is in Kindergarten will probably be a review for her.  But I wanted to make sure she had a good foundation.  So we are going to have fun, work our way through the curriculum we have, and then add in here and there with the things that interest her.  Right now she really wants to learn how to tell time, so that is what we are working on.  I love that I can walk this journey with her and customize it to her unique personality, interests, and needs.  So far, so good!

As soon as the door shut to Logan's room on Tuesday, she turned to me and said, "So what are we going to learn today, teacher?!"  Ha ha! I love her!

No comments:

Post a Comment